[Timeline of Church Growth]

[The History of Pittsburgh Chinese Church Oakland]

[A Beautiful Thing]

[A Reflection of the Oakland Ministry]

[Building Project

[Fishers of Men on Campus]

Developing initially as a famous Steel City in the 19th century, many Chinese immigrants had settled here.

  • In March 1937, Mrs. Lizzie Shaw gathered thirteen children together for a Sunday School in the building Of Providence Mission (409 Second Avenue) in Pittsburgh’s Chinatown to establish the Pittsburgh Chinese Mission.

  • In 1944, The Mission moved to the building of the Salvation Army on Second Avenue.

  • In May 1965, the Mission gradually expanded to various fellowships and to the point of being formally registered and developed as “Pittsburgh Chinese Church”.

  • In 1967, the meeting place has changed to the building of the First Presbyterian Church of Pittsburgh (320 Six Avenue) to accommodate more worshipers. Due to more and more Chinese students coming to Pittsburgh for study, the Pittsburgh Mandarin Bible Study Group was established.

  • Through 1968 to1973, Rev. Wally Yew was called as the first Pastor.

  • Through 1973 to1981, Rev. Jonathan Liu was called as the second Pastor.

  • In 1980, “Pittsburgh Mandarin Bible Study Group” has grown as “Pittsburgh Campus Fellowship” and met at First Baptism Church of Pittsburgh (159 N. Bellefield Avenue) on Friday evenings.

  • Through 1983 to1996, Rev. Joseph Cheng was called as the third Pastor.

  • In 1983, the meeting place was moved to the building of the North United Presbyterian Church (4101 Perrysville Avenue).

  • In 1984, purchased the building of the North United Presbyterian Church.

  • In 1989,  “East Suburban Chinese Church” was planted in Monroeville.

  • In 1995, Elder Leaf Huang and Elder John Shen with another 3 families were commissioned to plant “Pittsburgh Chinese Church Oakland” in Oakland or the university area of Pittsburgh, and the service was held in the building of the First Baptist Church of Pittsburgh on March Fifth.

  • In 1999, Rev. Hugo Cheng was called as the pastor of Pittsburgh Chinese Church Oakland.

  • In 2000, “Oakland International Fellowship” was established for the needs of international students in Pittsburgh.

  • In 2001, the mother church or the Pittsburgh Chinese Church purchased a elementary school property and moved to the new building.

  • In 2005, purchased the building of the New Hope Christian Church (134 N. Dithridge Street), and celebrated the first service in the new building on May Fifteenth.

  • In 2008, Pastor Terence Liu was called as the pastor of Chinese congregation.

  • In 2012, Pastor Michael Liang was called as the pastor of Youth and Children Ministry.

 

 

 

FaLang translation system by Faboba